Monistat 7 is one of the Monistat products that are used to treat yeast infection in the vagina. Yeast infection which is also known as candidiasis is very common and can affect even those who are not sexually active. The vagina contains yeast cells and bacteria, this is normal as they help to balance the pH of the vagina. When there is a change in the balance between the yeast cells and vagina, the result is multiplication of the cells and this can lead to symptoms like itching, pain during sex, swollen vagina, redness and rash in the vagina.
To relieve the symptoms and treat the infection, medications like Monistat is used. There are many Monistat products like Monistat 1, Monistat 3 and Monistat 7. They are all used for treating vaginal yeast infection but their method of application differs.
WHAT IS MONISTAT 7
Monistat 7 is an antifungal medication, it is used to treat vaginal yeast infection. It works by stopping the growth of fungi. The medication is formulated with an active ingredient known as Miconazole Nitrate 2%. Other inactive ingredients are:
- Benzoic Acid
- Cetyl Alcohol
- Isopropyl Myristate
- Polysorbate 60
- Potassium Hydroxide
- Propylene Glycol
- Purified Water
- Stearyl Alcohol
Monistat 7 comes with 7 doses of 100 mg Miconazole Nitrate cream and 7 empty disposable applicators, each dose is to be used once a day throughout the week. Some people may think Monistat 7 is not as effective as the other Monistat products because if the low concentration of miconazole nitrate but the drug has been clinically tested and proven to be effective for treating yeast infection. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that pregnant women and diabetic patients should only use Monistat 7.
MONISTAT 7 DOSES
There are two types of Monistat 7 antifungal medication, both drugs perform the same function and none is better than the other. You can choose to use any of the type.
1. MONISTAT 7-Day treatment cream: This comes in a box that contains 7 empty disposable applicators and 1 tube of miconazole cream (Prestige Consumer Healthcare, 2022). You will have to fill the applicators with cream before you use. It is recommended that you use the medication at night before bedtime.
2. MONISTAT 7-Day treatment combination pack cream: This combination pack is made of 7 empty disposable applicators, a tube of miconazole cream and an external itch relief cream. You should fill the applicators with the miconazole cream, the external cream is for the vulva. This pack should be used at night before bedtime.
HOW TO USE MONISTAT 7
There are steps you can take to use Monistat 7, remember that the medication is to be used at night before bedtime.
1. Unscrew the cap of the tube to open it, you can use the sharp end of the cap or any sharp object to open the seal of the tube.
2. Attach the end of the applicator to the tube.
3. Squeeze the cream into the applicator till the applicator is full. Gently remove the applicator from the tube and replace the cap on the tube to close it.
4. Insert the applicator into the vagina gently, let it go in as far as it can comfortably go in. You can do this while lying down on your back with your knees bent or while standing with the feet apart.
5. Hold the barrel with one hand and use the other to plunge the cream far into the vagina, then remove the applicator from the vagina.
6. Lie down on your back for sometime after inserting the cream to avoid leakage. You can wear a pad to protect your clothes from being stained by the cream.
To use the external cream:
- Squeeze the cream on your fingertips, the cream should be in small amount.
- Rub the cream on the itchy vagina, be sure to apply it on the irritated skin.
- You can use the cream in the morning and at night before bedtime for 7 days.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF MONISTAT 7 IS WORKING
Monistat 7 will start working immediately if you use it correctly as instructed, the symptoms will start going away within 3 hours. If the symptoms do not get better in 3 days or if they continue after 7 days, then you have to see your doctor .
If the Monistat 7 is working, you will notice the following symptoms like:
- Decrease in the swelling around the vaginal area
- Painful sex and urination will stop
- The vaginal itching will reduce and stop
- Burning sensation during sex will stop
- There will be little or no rashes in the vulva
- Redness and soreness of the vaginal area will reduce
- Vaginal discharge that looks like cottage cheese which is a major sign of vaginal yeast infection will be reduced.
ARE THERE SIDE EFFECTS OF MONISTAT 7
Monistat 7 have minor side effects that are considered normal, these effects do not need medical attention and they go away after some time. However, it you notice that they continue after the treatment, you should see your doctor.
Minor side effects of Monistat 7 are:
- Slight headache
- Mild burning around the vaginal area
- Mild irritation
Serious side effects of using the antifungal medication are:
- Severe vaginal pain
- Swelling around the vaginal area, face, tongue or lips
- Stomach pain
- Rashes on the skin
- Hives and itching.
PRECAUTIONS OR WARNING BEFORE USING MONISTAT 7
Before using the cream, there are some things you should consider or know about. This is why you should see a doctor before using the cream.
1. If you are using Monistat 7 for the first time, you should go to a hospital and carry out tests to be sure you have vaginal yeast infection. Some infections may have same symptoms as candidiasis so if you use the Monistat cream without being diagnosed, you may not get any relieve.
2. Do not take Monistat 7 orally, it is only meant for the vagina and the vulva.
3. Using Monistat 7 and birth control methods like diaphragms, condoms and spermicide may reduce how effective these birth control methods will be.
4. Your doctor should only recommend Monistat products when you are pregnant, and you must only use Monistat 7.
5. Children under the age of 12 should not use Monistat 7. The cream is meant for older children and adults.
6. If the infection returns in less than two months or you always have yeast infection, you should see a doctor before using Monistat 7 again to treat yourself.
WHY DOES MONISTAT 7 BURN
This is one question most people who use the product ask. Yes, you will have a burning sensation after inserting the cream into your vagina. But the question is “is the burning normal and why does it happen?”
The answer is that the burning sensation you feel is as a result of the cream eating away the yeast infection and treating you of candidiasis. The burning is only for some time and is experienced in the first three days. As the day goes by, the burning sensation reduces. You should endure the effect in the early days and finish the medication.
MONISTAT 7 REVIEWS
There has been ratings on the effectiveness and experience users encounter while using Monistat 7. Out of 10, Monistat 7 was rated 3.6 . 61% of the reviewers gave negative feedback while 16% reported positive reviews. The positive reviews are centered on the effectiveness of the cream in treating yeast infection and its easy usage.
The product is easy to use as it has a detailed guideline on the vest on ways to insert the cream. Many reported that in 3 days, there were significant changes in the symptoms. The burning sensation which is a side effect comes down within 3 days and before the end of the 7th day, you will notice so many positive changes. The negative reviews are mostly on the burning sensation. The feeling is so intense especially on the first and second day. Some reported that they had to wash off some of the cream from the vagina in a bid to reduce the burning.
Others liken the feeling to setting the vagina on fire. But one thing most of the negative reviews have is that the burning sensation will reduce in the third day, so if you are able to make it through the first 2 or 3 days, then you can go through the rest of the days. Well, considering the symptoms of vaginal yeast infection, it is better to go through the 2 days of burning sensation.
Monistat 7 is very effective in treating vaginal yeast infections and relieving the symptoms as well. The product comes either a combination pack or a pack without the external cream. The steps on how to use Monistat 7 are very simple and well detailed that anyone can use it. The side effects are minimal but if they become serious or persist, you should see a doctor. The negative reviews may try to discourage you from using the product but the product pack clearly stated that you will feel mild burning sensation, so it is normal.