How long does vyvanse last?
The length of time it will take for vyvanse to last in the body depends on some factors like age, weight and others. This drug is used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and moderate to severe eating disorder. It is always prescribed by a doctor and in small doses.
There will be side effects associated with vyvanse so you may want to know how long the drug will last so as to get a grasp of the length of time you will experience the effects. Some also want to know the length of time so as to intensify the effects. While it is not advisable to intensify the effects of vyvanse because there are serious health complications like heart problems.
WHAT IS VYVANSE?
Vyvanse, also known as lisdexamfetamine dimesylate is a drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to be a stimulant used in treating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It can also be used to treat moderate to severe binge eating disorder (BED). The FDA approved vyvanse to be used in people above the age of 6 who have ADHD and also those over 18 years who have BED.
Vyvanse is classified by the United States Drug Enforcement Administration as a controlled substance in the Schedule II categorization of controlled substances. This means that you must only take vyvanse only when prescribed by doctor. Some stimulants are used by some doctors to counter lethargy, improve focus of people with neurological issues and other off-label purposes but vyvanse is not used for such because of how the body metabolizes the drug.
HOW DOES VYVANSE WORK?
Vyvanse works by increasing the brain activity in areas that are needed for concentration and behaviors, it works on the body’s central nervous system specifically on the neurotransmitters or brain chemicals like norepinephrine and dopamine.
The norepinephrine is responsible for mobilizing the brain to become more attentive and energized. Dopamine on the other hand, helps you to focus, feel pleasure, find things interesting and captivating. The drug reduces the symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder like less attention, inability to control impulse and make decisions.
DOSAGE FOR VYVANSE
Vyvanse comes in two forms, either as a chewable tablet or a capsule. Each form can be in doses like:
- 10 mg
- 20 mg
- 30 mg
- 40 mg
- 50 mg
- 60 mg
- 70 mg (only for the capsule)
The same dose given to children with ADHD is same as the dosage for adults with same health condition. To treat binge eating disorder, vyvanse is only used for adults. However, the highest daily dosage for vyvanse is 70 mg.
According to Healthline, the dosage given depends on factors like:
- The health condition being treated
- Other underlying health condition you have
- Other medications you are taking
- How well your condition is improving
For both health conditions, you are to take vyvanse once a day. It is best to take this drug in the morning as taking it in the afternoon or evening can cause symptoms like trouble with sleep. The morning time will give your body enough time to get through side effects that may disrupt your activities in the evening or night.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR VYVANSE TO KICK IN?
Vyvanse is an oral drug that needs to be metabolized by the body so as to be effective during the time it will be in the system. With the metabolism and everything, it will take about an hour or two for this stimulant to kick in while the side effects can last for as long as 14 hours.
Vyvanse is considered as a smooth drug because the side effects do not suddenly kick in, they start to show up gradually. This means that there is less chances of having severe withdrawal symptoms when the effects of the drug start to wear off or when you gradually stop to use it.
VYVANSE HALF-LIFE & EFFECT DURATION
The book Workplace Drug Testing explained that the length of time it takes a drug to last in a person’s body is most times is measured by how much time it takes the body’s normal metabolic processes to reduce the concentration of the drug by half (half-life).
The active ingredient in vyvanse which is lisdexamfetamine is changed into the stimulant dextroamphetamine during metabolism. Lisdexamfetamine can only last for few hours in the body while dextroamphetamine that has a half-life of 12 hours would be detected longer.
It can take about 5.5 half-life of a particular drug to be removed from the system if it is used for general purposes. You should know that there are some factors that can detect when the drug is metabolized by the body.
These factors are:
- The amount of drug taken
- If the drug is taken with other drugs
HOW LONG DOES VYVANSE LAST IN THE SYSTEM?
Lisdexamfetamine can only last in the system for a short period of time before it is metabolized into dextroamphetamine that has a half-life of about 12 hours. This means that the metabolized stimulant can be detected in the body for longer time. Based on this explanation, vyvanse can last in the system for about 2 to 3 days.
Vyvanse have different detectability time depending on the test used. Some test have shorter detection window while others have longer window. This is because those who are long-time users of this drug will have it in their bodies for longer time as their system has become used to the stimulant.
- Blood: It is easier to detect vyvanse in blood and this test has the shortest detection window. Vyvanse can last in the blood and can be detected for up to 8 hours after taking it.
- Urine: Vyvanse can be detected in urine samples for up to 3 days or even longer in some cases.
- Saliva: Saliva can be used to detect how long a drug can last and it is much easier to collect samples. Vyvanse can last and be detected in the saliva for up to 48 hours after use.
- Hair: It takes a long time for vyvanse orbits traces to be detected in a hair sample, this is because hair test has the longest detection window when compared to other tests. Vyvanse can last in the hair and be detectable for about a month after taking the drug.
There are factors that will determine how long vyvanse can last in the body, these factors are:
- Rate of metabolism
- Body mass
- How the drug is taken
- The amount of drug taken
- How frequent the drug is used
- The health status of the user
- If the drug is taken with other drugs.
HOW LONG DOES VYVANSE LAST AFTER PEAK?
The level of vyvanse in the body peaks about 3.5 hours after taking a capsule qhilenitbpeaks for about 4.4 hours after you take a chewable tablet . The length of time it takes for these levels to peak does not only depend on the drug form but also if you take the drug with food. If you take vyvanse with food, it will take longer time to peak than when it is taken without food. The effects of the stimulant usually last for about 14 hours after you take a dose including the peak.
SIDE EFFECTS OF VYVANSE
Just like other drugs, there are side effects that may be experienced. These side effects are:
- Loss of appetite
- Irritability and mood swings
- Trouble with sleeping
- Dry mouth
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pain in the upper stomach
- Weight loss
Serious side effects that require the attention of a medical practitioner are:
- High blood pressure
- Faster heart rate
- Sudden stroke
- Heart attack
- Slowed growth in children
- Mental health conditions like extreme excitement and energy
- Risk of dependence and abuse
HOW TO PROPEELY USE VYVANSE
- Some of the proper ways of using vyvanse are:
- Stick to your prescribed dose. Do not take more, less, more often or for longer time. Vyvanse can be easily abused. So not when increase the dose if you feel the drug is not working in your body.
- Read the instructions that comes with the pack and ask questions to your doctor if there are any.
- You can take the drug with or without food.
- It is best to take the drug in the morning to good having symptoms of insomnia if taken in the afternoon or evening.
- Do not crush, chew or divide the capsule, you are to swallow it whole. You can open the capsule and pour the content into a glass of water, juice or even yogurt if you cannot swallow the capsule whole.
- Chew the chewable tablet very well before swallowing
- If you miss your dose, you should take it immediately you remember. But if the time is close to the next dose, you should skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule.
Vyvanse does not clear out of the body immediately it is taken, it can last for some hours and even days. It can take between 2 to 3 days for vyvanse to stay in the body before being cleared off.
You should not try to extend the length of time by taking overdose as it can lead to misuse and abuse. It may take some time for you to see changes in your health conditions but vyvanse is very effective and approved to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and binge eating disorder.