Are uncrustables healthy?
You may have wondered if uncrustables are healthy, you are not the only one asking this question as others may have wondered if these sandwiches are healthy and good for your body. The makers of these uncrustables project and market them to be much better than the traditional sandwich and snacks we have come to know.
Although these uncrustables are made with whole wheat bread without crust, health experts are of the opinion that they are unhealthy because they contain lots of sugar and calories. In this article, we will explain what uncrustables are, their ingredients, positive sides and if they are healthy for consumption.
WHAT ARE UNCRUSTABLES?
Uncrustables are sandwiches made of a filling secured or sealed between two layers of bread with a crimped edge whose crusts are removed. They are usually used or eaten in place of the traditional peanut butter and jelly sandwich we all know. Uncrustables are manufactured by the J. M. Smucker Company and there are different flavors of these sandwiches.
It is considered as a better alternative for people who want low fat sandwiches but they are not better than peanut butter and jelly sandwich. These sandwiches are made with ingredients like white bread (a mixture of wheat flour and white flour), peanut butter 35%, water, sugar, vegetable oil (palm oil), high fructose corn syrup, molasses, contains 2% or less: leavening (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda), salt, natural flavor, soy lecithin.
ARE UNCRUSTABLES HEALTHY 2020 AND 2021
Most articles on uncrustables and their link to healthy living between 2020 and 2021 all agreed that these sandwiches are not the best neither are they healthier than the traditional peanut butter and jelly sandwich. We shall look at the different ways uncrustables have shown to be unhealthy.
1. Uncrustables does not contain much nutrients as it is made from wheat flour which has more protein. You can eat it as a quick snack but your body does not get much nutrients from it like other snacks. Uncrustables are not healthy for everyone as those who are sensitive or allergic to wheat cannot enjoy it.
2. These sandwiches are not made with the same process as the traditional sandwich as an additive known as bromated flour is added to uncrustables. This additive is considered as dangerous to health by international health organizations. The dangers associated with this additive include cancer, unwanted changes in genes and genetic mutations.
The ions in bromate flour can cause toxicity in humans and animals when consumed in large doses. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) carried out a study on the dangers of bromate molecule on rats, they discovered diseases like stunted growth, cancer and other health conditions. This additive is still allowed to be used in baking but only in small doses.
3. Uncrustables have high calories. You may think they are low carb food with many nutrients but they are only rich on calories and carbohydrates with few nutrients. From the information on the food pack or box, a piece of uncrustable contains 210 calories and 28g carbohydrates. The bread used for the uncrustables has soybean oil, and the fillings have various vegetable oils.
4. There are added sugars in uncrustables. Some varieties of flavors are labelled reduced sugar but the bread, peanut butter, and the fruit spread have sugar. This may not be healthy for people who are diabetic.
5. They are not keto friendly as there are about 23 grams to 28 grams of total carbohydrates for each uncrustable. There are so many calories and carbohydrates in uncrustables to be considered keto diet.
6. Uncrustables are not ideal for weight loss as there is a high calorie from sugar, processed flour and other ingredients. They are quick snack that does not satisfy or stay in the stomach for a longer time so you may end up eating many slices of uncrustables without getting filled easily.
ARE THERE GOOD SIDES OF UNCRUSTABLES?
Uncrustables are not really bad, they are considered as the low-fat versions of the traditional peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It can be taken by people who have dietary restrictions. A piece of uncrustable (one sandwich and one half wrap) contains two grams of protein and six grams of fiber. There are other nutrients like potassium 129mg and total fat 9g. When compared to many snacks, uncrustables have low calories but this does not mean you should eat it as much as you want.
There are real nuts, peanuts and fruits in the filling and spread of uncrustables. Some varieties of uncrustables are made with whole wheat flour and this is somehow healthier with some amounts of fiber. The fibre can help to digest the carbohydrates to become slower. Some flavors and varieties of uncrustables are vegan due to the fillings they have. However, flavors like Chocolate Flavored Hazelnut Spread Sandwich and Peanut Butter and Honey are not considered vegan as they contain skim milk and whey and honey.
WHAT ARE THE FLAVOURS OF UNCRUSTABLES?
There are many flavors of uncrustables but there are two types of these sandwiches. The first type is called fruit-style sandwiches. They are made with fruit fillings and peanut butter, sometimes Nutella-type chocolate fillings are used. The flavors for this type include blueberry, peach raspberry jam, berry strawberry lemonade, cherry pineapple orange juice and peach strawberry banana smoothie. The second type of uncrustables have fillings that are either peanut butter or chocolate-flavored cream filling, sometimes both are used for fillings.
The flavors include vanilla, chocolate chip, and cinnamon roll. There are also uncrustables that are made for kids and they have different flavors as well. They include strawberries, followed by grape, cherry, apple, orange, and mixed berry. There is also a chocolate-coated version with chocolate flavor.
CAN YOU EAT FROZEN UNCRUSTABLES?
It is acceptable to eat frozen uncrustables even if the fillings are chocolate or anything else. The taste of frozen uncrustables is the same as when you eat it straight out of the box. The best time to eat uncrustables is within a day of buying if you have not opened them. But if you have opened them, you should eat them between 6 to 8 hours. Uncrustables can last for a long time as there is no dairy products or eggs, which can spoil.
It is advised that you eat the sandwiches because leaving the product lying around can cause the fillings to get stale. The regular uncrustables have ingredients like whole milk, sugar, frosting-style peanut butter, and a cookie so you can get your uncrustables from stores and freeze them till you are able to eat them. You can freeze them for months if you do not open them, the sandwiches come with expiration date on the wraps so you can take note of that as well.
Before freezing your uncrustables, you should put them in a bag as this will help them not to get sticky. You can remove the uncrustables from their wraps and place them in separate piece of plastic or napkin to avoid them sticking to each other. You can leave the uncrustables in the same wrap but separate each slice with a small piece of paper. When your uncrustables stock together, it may be difficult to separate them.
HOW DO YOU THAW UNCRUSTABLES?
You can defrost your uncrustables by allowing them to stay at room temperature for a few hours or you put the sandwich in a lunchbox and drop the box in a bowl of water. You can microwave for few seconds if you do not have enough time to allow it sit at room temperature.
Follow these Steps to Thaw your Frozen Uncrustables:
- Bring out the uncrustables from your freezer and remove the wrapper
- Allow it to sit at room temperature for about 3 to 5 hours, you can reduce the number of hours if you want it faster.
CAN YOU MICROWAVE COLD UNCRUSTABLES?
Microwaving uncrustables for a long time can be dangerous to your health so it is not advisable or recommended. Heating or microwaving uncrustables using high heat can lead to health issues like increasing your risk of having cancer, diabetes, heart disease, obesity and other conditions. It can even lead to death due to anaphylaxis, so it is best not to microwave or heat uncrustables.
If you want to microwave your uncrustables, it should be between 10 to 15 seconds and not more than this. Be sure to remove the plastic wrap and put the sandwich in a plate before microwaving. After 10 to 15 seconds, you should allow it to stay for a minute before you eat.
ARE THERE GLUTEN FREE UNCRUSTABLES?
There are gluten free uncrustables, they are made with peanut butter and grape jelly. These sandwiches are just as delicious and convenient like the regular uncrustables. Gluten free uncrustables are made with 100% peanut butter and jelly. These alternatives are made without artificial colors, flavors, high-fructose corn syrup, or crust. This is a very good alternative for people who have celiac disease or sensitive to gluten products.
WHERE CAN YOU BUY UNCRUSTABLES?
Most grocery stores and supermarkets sell uncrustables but be sure to check if you are getting the healthy uncrustables. Some grocery stores and food marts have uncrustables in their freezer sections, so you can easily see it there. Some online stores like Amazon, Walmart, Kroger and others sell uncrustables.
Uncrustables are just like your traditional peanut butter and jelly sandwich but without crusts. They are delicious and convenient but it is not advisable to eat them always because there are lots of calories and carbohydrates.