Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is known to be found in both Children and Adults. It affects them socially, educationally and psychologically. It can be treated with ADHD medicines as approved by medical Professionals. Among the ADHD medicines are Strattera and Adderall which is the main topic of this article.
These two ADHD medicines; Strattera and Adderall are sometimes considered as the same or considered to have the same functions. In this article, you would get to know and understand the difference, similarities and lot more about this two ADHD medicines.
WHAT IS STRATTERA?
Strattera is a type of selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor that is usually used for the treatment of ADHD in both Children and Adults. It is a non stimulant medicine and was first approved in the year 2002 by the FDA. It has the generic name Atomoxetine.
Although, how it works is not totally figured out but according to it definition, it is sensed to have a thing to do with the selective inhibitor of the presyneptic norepinephrine transporter. Strattera has side effects that ranges from common to rare or serious depending on how handled.
- Abdominal pain
- Dry mouth
- Erectile dysfunction
- Lack of appetite
- Weight loss
WHAT IS ADDERALL?
Adderall is a type of central nervous system stimulant medicine that is usually used for the treatment of ADHD and norcolepsy in both Children and Adults. It is a stimulant medicine and was first approved in the year 1996 by the FDA.
It has the generic names Dextroamphetamine and Amphetamine. Just like Strattera, how it works is not totally figured out but it is sensed to be a blockage to the reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine into the presynaptic neuron. Addrerall has some side effects that are common and can also be serious as the case may be.
- Abdominal pain
- Blood flow problems
- Lack of appetite
- Mood swings
- Sleep disorder
- Uncontrolled movement
- Weight loss
STRATTERA VS ADDERALL
SIMILARITIES BETWEEN STRATTERA AND ADDERALL
Strattera and Adderall do not have so much similarities. They are mostly similar in the treatment of ADHD and some of their side effects.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STRATTERA AND ADDERALL
Strattera and Adderall has a lot of difference than their similarities.
These differences include;
- Strattera is a non stimulant while Adderall is a stimulant.
- Strattera is only used as a treatment for ADHD while Adderall is used as a treatment for ADHD and norcolepsy.
- They possess different genetic names; Strattera is known as Atomoxetine while Adderall is known as Dextroamphetamine and Amphetamine.
- Based on their drug class, Strattera is a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor while Adderall is a CNS stimulant.
- Strattera is a 2nd – line ADHD treatment While Adderall is a 1st – line ADHD treatment .
- Strattera medicine comes only in capsule form while Adderall medicine comes in capsule, tablet and extended-release (XR) form.
- Strattera can be more tolerated while Adderall is less tolerated.
- Strattera is more expensive in price than Adderall.
- General dosage for Strattera is 10mg to 100mg while the general dosage for Adderall is 5mg to 30mg.
- Strattera must be taken continuously while Adderall can be easily abused and so must be taken strictly based on prescription.
BETWEEN STRATTERA AND ADDERALL WHICH IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE MEDICINE?
Generally, Strattera and Adderall should be equal in their effectiveness but the answer to the question above varies in individuals.
When it comes to knowing which of these medicines would be effective for you, your Doctor has to be the one to decide that based on some criteria like; your age, medical history, symptoms, allergies and others.
CAN STRATTERA AND ADDERALL BE INTERACTED?
Although the interaction of Strattera and Adderall is not well known off, only a Doctor can give a proper prescription for the interaction of these medicines.
If one of these medicines does not seem to improve your health condition then the other can be used as a supplement but if one works perfectly well for your health condition then, there is obviously no reason to introduce the other.
Patients should not try to take this medicines together on their own without the Doctors prescription as it might be really risky to the health.
CAN YOU TAKE STRATTERA AND ADDERALL WHILE PREGNANT OR BREASTFEEDING?
There is no research found to determine if Strattera and Adderall can be taken while pregnant or breastfeeding. It is advised that pregnant or breastfeeding women should not take this medicines unless it is approved by your Doctor with adequate prescription.
If you have been taking it before seeing this as a pregnant or breastfeeding woman, it is important you visit your Doctor for medical advice.
CAN YOU TAKE STRATTERA AND ADDERALL WITH ALCOHOL?
Non of these medicines should be taken with alcohol. This is because alcohol will increase the risks of side effects of these medicines and at the same proportion, decrease and slow down the effectiveness of the medicines.
WARNING BASED ON THE USE OF STRATTERA AND ADDERALL
- Strattera and Adderall are not approved for treatment of any depressive disorder other than ADHD.
- Patients who Strattera or Adderall has been prescribed to should be monitored closely to prevent suicidal thoughts or behaviors.
- Patients with Cardiac problems should not be given Strattera or Adderall.
- Patients should be monitored closely as High blood pressure may tend to occur.
- Patients might experience a seizure or hallucination.
- Unusual side effects such as stroke, heart attack, hallucination, fainting, shortness of breath, blurred vision,paranoia and lot more should be reported to a Doctor immediately.
- If taken above prescription, it can lead to liver failure or even affect the kidneys.
- For children, it may affect their growth.
- Strattera Or Adderall should not be given to patients who are allergic to any ingredients that makes up these medicines as it many lead to allergic reactions.
- Follow other warnings on the pack of the medicine carefully.
WHEN TO VISIT YOUR DOCTOR
It is important to visit your Doctor immediately if side effects goes beyond normal like fainting, shortness of breath, blurred vision, hallucination, paranoia, heart attack and other complicated conditions. Another case where you need to visit your Doctor is of you take an over dose of Strattera or Adderall.
Strattera and Adderall are both very effective for the treatment of ADHD. Though they are used to treat similar health condition, they are two entirely different medicines.
It is important you visit your Doctor if side effects becomes worst, unbearable or stays for a longer time than expected.
Interaction of Strattera and Adderall must be based on Doctors prescription and it is also best that your Doctor prescribed which you should take for your health condition.