Have you ever heard of Epsom salt bath for hemorrhoids? what is it?. Epsom salt is a natural occurring mineral that is made up of magnesium and sulfate compounds in rock like formation. This salt was discovered about 400 years ago in a small town called “Epsom” which is a stone throw away from London in England. The salt was named after this town it originated from.
Epsom salt look like normal table salt but it has a bitter taste which means it should not be consumed like table salt. Since this salt cannot be consumed, of what use is it? Epsom salt, when poured into warm water dissolves the magnesium and sulfate compounds in it and these can be absorbed into the body through the skin. This can treat pains and aches.
Also, if it is taken into the body intravenously, it can prevent premature birth, reduce seizures that caused by lack of magnesium, preeclampsia, and eclampsia. However, there are not many strong scientific evidence to support this claims but there have been testimonies from people claiming that they feel relieved from many symptoms when they have Epsom salt bath.
Epsom salt is safe to use, can be easily found in grocery stores and also not costly. One of the studies published in the International Journal of Dermatology in 2005 found out that using magnesium salts can be effective in alleviating inflammation and dry skin.
EPSOM SALT BATH FOR HEMORRHOIDS
Hemorrhoids also known as piles are common medical condition, it is common as it occur in at least three out of four adults. Hemorrhoids can cause itching in the anus, pain especially while using the toilet and rectal bleeding. This medical condition occurs when the veins found in the rectum and anus becomes swollen.
These veins can become swollen because of increase in pressure when overweight or pregnant, or applying force during bowel movement. Some hemorrhoids can be mild and can go away on their own while severe ones requires serious medical attention. Mild hemorrhoids can be managed with some home remedies. One of the remedies is Epsom salt bath. To use Epsom salt bath to relieve hemorrhoids and its symptoms, you can adopt two methods: adding the salt in your bathtub or using a sitz bath.
To use Epsom salt in your bathtub, you must be sure that the tub is clean. Sprinkle white vinegar all over the tub, then spread baking over the surface and scrub thoroughly. Rinse with water for multiple times.
You can also use a sitz bath. A sitz bath is a small, round basin that can fit over your toilet, it can also be used in your bathtub or bathroom floor but make sure it is clean enough.
These basins allow you to dip only your genitals and anus area without dipping in your whole body. Sitz bath can be gotten in pharmacies or online stores.
HOW TO USE EPSOM SALT BATH FOR HEMORRHOIDS
To take an epsom salt bath, follow these steps:
- Fill your bathtub with 4 or 5 inches of water, the water should be warm to avoid scalding your genitals and anus area. For those using sitz bath, the water for the bath should be enough to soak the needed area without overflowing.
- Add 2 cups of the epsom salt to the water if you are using a bathtub and 1/2 cup if you are using a sitz bath.
- Gently place your anal area into the water and stay in that position for at least 10 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse yourself with water and pat dry the anal area to avoid irritation.
- This bath can be done at least 2 times a day. If possible, do it after a bowel movement.
EPSOM SALT PASTE FOR HEMORRHOIDS
If you are not comfortable with the bath method, you can use the epsom salt as a paste, this paste is applied directly on the affected area. For this method, you will need vegetable glycerin.
Follow these steps to make an epsom salt paste:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of vegetable glycerin and 2 tablespoons of epsom salt in a bowl, stir these substances very well till they mix very well.
- Apply some of the paste on a pad and place it directly on the affected area. Make sure the pad has enough of the paste and allow this to be on the anal area for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this every four to six hours till the symptoms of hemorrhoids subsides.
EPSOM SALT AND ALOE VERA GEL PASTE
- This paste needs 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt and 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
- Mix both in a bowl and stir to combine them together.
- Apply the paste to the affected area, you can use a pad or a clean towel.
- Allow the paste for 20 minutes before you wash off with warm water, you can use a clean soft cloth to gently clean off the paste instead of roughly scrubbing.
- Repeat the process 3 or 4 times a week.
EPSOM SALT AND LAVENDER OIL
You can add essential oils like lavender to your bath to relieve pain from hemorrhoids.
- Fill your bathtub with warm water or add enough water in your sitz bath.
- Pour in 4 tablespoons of epsom salt and add 15-20 drops of lavender oil.
- Lower your anus and genital area into the water.
- Stay for 10 to 20 minutes, rinse off the area and pat dry with a clean, dry towel.
You can repeat this process for twice or thrice a week.
EPSOM SALT BATH FOR HEMORRHOIDS WHILE PREGNANT
Pregnancy requires caution and can also cause some medical conditions, one of this is hemorrhoids. It is not impossible to hear that hemorrhoids can occur during pregnancy, in fact, pregnant women are more likely to get hemorrhoids. The weight of the baby and the uterus can make it easier for hemorrhoids to occur in pregnancy.
Having Epsom salt bath can be helpful and the compounds in it can reduce the hemorrhoids and its pains. The salt can increase how water gets to the intestines and this will help clean up fecal matter. While the salt can relieve the itching, pain and bleeding caused by hemorrhoids, the anti-inflammatory properties found in 5he salt will help to shrink the veins.
There are researches and many doctors have agreed that having Epsom salt bath are a safe way to get relief. However, the body differs including pregnancies so you may want to ask your doctor first if it is safe for you to have an Epsom salt bath.
BEST EPSOM SALT BATH FOR HEMORRHOIDS
There are some many brands of epsom salt that can be used to relieve hemorrhoid symptoms. These salts can easily be gotten in pharmacies, grocery stores and most online shops. Some of these brands are:
- Solimo Epsom salt soaking aid – This salt is scented with lavender.
- Vapor bath salt mixed with lavender, rosemary and eucalyptus. These added herbs gives it a nice smell.
- Dr. Teal’s pure Epsom salt, this salt has been mixed with witch hazel, aloe vera and essentials oils.
- Epsoak Epsom Salt, magnesium sulfate USP upgrade
- RēVIVOL-XR Sitz Bath Salt for Hemorrhoids
- Doctor Butler’s Epsom Salt Soak
- Natural Epsom Salt (Original)
- Sky Organics Epsom Salt, magnesium sulfate USP
- Tree Hut Shea Moisturizing Epsom Salt with coconut lime.
- IndoSurgicals Natural Epsom Salt
BENEFITS OF EPSOM SALT
Epsom salt can help in relieving:
- Sore Feet
- Stiff joints
- Itching that is caused by coming in contact with poison ivy
- Skin irritation
- Skin inflammation
When administered intravenously, epsom salt can be used for:
- Reducing swelling in the brain
- Treating poisoning caused by barium
- Treating muscle spasms caused by lack of magnesium
- Preventing preeclampsia and eclampsia seizures
- Controlling fast heartbeat
- Postponing premature birth
- Relieving headache and migraine.
It can also be used orally to treat:
- Magnesium deficiency in the blood
A study published by the National Library of Medicine in 2016 showed that taking in magnesium can reduce the risk of having
- Heart disease
However, before taking in epsom salt orally, you should ask your doctor first and follow the instructions on the package carefully to avoid taking in excess magnesium. Too much of magnesium which can cause low blood pressure and irregular heartbeat.
PRECAUTIONS WHEN USING EPSOM SALT BATH FOR HEMORRHOIDS
Epsom salt bath can cause itching, slight pain and inflammation. However, this rarely occurs and have happened to very few people according to researches. So, if you experience these side effects, you should discontinue and see your doctor.
Hemorrhoid is a medical condition that happens to many people, in fact , 75% of Americans experience piles in their lifetime. One way to reduce the symptoms of this condition is by adding Epsom salt to warm water and soaking your anal area in it. This can bring relieve if it is done as instructed and consistently. Pregnant women can also enjoy the benefits of Epsom salt bath as it can treat hemorrhoids and reduce stiffness associated with pregnancy.