Macular Degeneration is also called Age-related macular degeneration (AMD). It refers to an eye diseases which affects persons that are fifty (50) years and above. This type of Eye disease is a diseases which causes severe vision problems to a person affected by it. It is caused when the small Central portion of the retina which is also macula.
Macular-degeneration can lead to a permanent vision (that is, blindness) while in some cases it only leads to blurred vision.
Causes of Macular Degeneration
Macular-degeneration is caused as a result of the following factors;
• Gene: A gene is a theoretical unit of hereditary in living brings. Gene is something that is inherited naturally. Gene is one of the the factors that causes AMD. A person whose family is affected by this diseases is likely to inherit as well.
• Smoking: Another factor that can cause macular degeneration is smoking. A person who smokes substances like the Indian hemp, marijuana, etcetera, will likely suffer macular-degeneration.
• High Blood Pressure: High blood pressure is another factor that causes macular degeneration. A person whose blood pressure is not normal but above the normal rate( hypertensive) has eighty percent (80%) possibility of having the disease.
• Obesity: obesity is another common factor that can cause Age muscular degeneration. A highly obessed person has a greater possibility of having macular degeneration.
• Race: Race also is a factor that causes macular-degeneration. The place that someone is from (race) also determines if the person is liable to suffer from AMD.
• High cholesterol level in the body: A person who is not easy with the consumption of food that has too much saturated fat will likely have a high level of cholesterol and having a high cholesterol in the body can cause someone to have macular-degeneration.
• Age: Age is one of the powerful factor that can cause Age Macula Degeneration. As a person grows older, there is 80% possibility that the person will be affected with AMD.
Types of Macular Degeneration
ARMD divided into two major types and they include;
Dry Age Macular Degeneration
Dry Macular Degeneration is a type of Degeneration that tends to grow over the years. It is more common than the wet. It can affect only one of the eyes and at times the both eyes. A Dry-Macular Degeneration may not cause a total vision loss (blindness), but if it is not treated and it grows into wet macular degeneration, it will cause a total vision loss.
The following symptoms are the signs that will help you get the insight that you might be suffering from the Dry Degeneration.
• Difficult to recognize faces: this is one of the signs that might indicate that you may be having dry Macular Degeneration. You may experience difficulty in recognize people’s faces especially people you just met once.
• The need for brighter light when reading books: not being able to read without brighter light is another symptom of dry macular degeneration.
Wet Age Macular Degeneration
Wet macular degeneration is the second type of AMD. Wet macular degeneration is not really common but it is more severe than dry macular depreciate and it can lead to total blindness in a person. Wet Age Macula degeneration occurs when there is an abnormal blood vessels at the back of the eye.
Prevention of Age Macular Degeneration
ARMD is not that possible to cure but it can be prevented. The following measures below can help to prevent the possibility of getting this eye diseases.
• Avoid smoking: Smoking is one of the factors that lead to Age Related Macular-Degeneration. In order to prevent AMD, a person that smokes should try to avoid it so that he or she can lower the risk of getting the diseases.
• Engage in regular exercise: Exercise helps to reduce burn down fat and reduce obesity. To prevent AMD, people should engage in exercises so as to help reduce obesity.
• Eat foods that have low cholesterol and fruit: A person with a high cholesterol level in the body is exposed to the danger of having this eye disease. In order to prevent the diseases, one must learn to eat fruits and food that have less cholesterol.
Consult your doctor before taking any eye supplement that could you with your macula degeneration